Collinswood Designs where some of the best craftsmen in America put their signature on Collinswood Mantels. For 12 years Collinswood Designs has been providing quality mantels to the hearth industry through specialty retailers throughout the country. Over 400 stores sell and display our mantels and other products in the United States.
Recognizing Good Construction
The finest quality mantels are constructed of wide pieces of solid hardwoods selected for consistent color and grain patterns. Cheaper products are made of narrow pieces glued together, often having highly varied colors and grain patterns, making them prone to warping and splitting.
- Look for “clear” lumber having few knots, unsanded machine marks, rough surfaces or other avoidable flaws of workmanship.
- Moldings and trim pieces should be nailed in place with small inconspicuous brads, with tight-fitting smoothly sanded joints.
- Finished mantels should show even staining, protected by a smooth, sealed surface, characteristic of fine furniture, without any open joints or unfilled nail holes.
Collinswood Designs Construction Characteristics
Collinswood Designs combines choice materials and dedicated craftsmanship to create a mantel that will satisfy for generations. Our success derives from attention to details…from initial design to construction, finishing, quality control and packaging.
- Selected oaks, cherry and maple. No plywood or by-products are in our mantels.
- Careful moisture testing and lumber selection to eliminate warping.
- Prudent design and construction to assure tight-fitting joints while allowing for normal wood movement.
- Fine detail sanding by hand.
- Non-yellowing stains, solvents and sealers are used to avoid discoloration due to ultraviolet light. The only color change will be the natural mellowing of real wood.
- Only deep-penetrating oil stains – no sprayed-on surface colors.
- Multiple coats of moisture resistant lacquers properly seal the wood. Each layer of finish is hand-rubbed to a smooth soft sheen, enhancing the natural beauty of the wood. You may also choose to order your mantel without finish, or custom stain matching is available.
Each Collinswood Mantel is the result of human accomplishment aided by machine. Each employee deserves both the credit and the responsibility for a job well-done. That’s why each mantel proudly bears the signature of the principle assembler.
Content copyright Collingswood Designs. Adapted by permission of Collingswood Designs by Hearth & Home.